Mes quatre premiers jours

So I've been in Belgium 3 days and I my research about this city feels pointless. My first day here my jaw was sore from all the houses and statues that I was seeing all over. I've been to Europe before but it has been so long and I forgot how incredible every litte thing here is. My first day consisted of orientation and moving into my apartment and then... a nap. I woke myself up and I forced myself to take the bus and meet some people in my program 30 minutes away for dinner. I had pasta which tasted delicious seeing as though I hadn't eaten anything in 24 hours and then I hopped back on the bus only to get kicked off again in the middle of nowhere by the bus driver. I freaked out and was so confused on where I was because there are NO MOUNTAINS to help my know where the hell north or south is. Google maps was telling me it would take 3 hours to get home and no taxi's near by. I called my mom in tears. I truly felt like I was going to somehow die out there in the Belgian countryside. After walking a mile I finally lucked out and found a bus stop that had bus numer 95 which is the bus I need to take to get home. While I sat on the bench crying it pulled up and I got in and wiped my tears. 45 minutes later I got home and called my parents telling them that I didn't know if I could do this. But of course they were calm me down and instill some confidence in me. Thursday I woke up and decided to meet with my group and do some sight seeing. We went to Grand Place which is gorgeous and right next to where I am living. We also found ourselves some Belgian waffles which were as amazing as they described. Friday we had a tour of brussels which covered the EU, a fair, the kings palace and the sight of the March 22, 2016 bombing at a metro station. This sight was incredible. There was a wall at the sight that was covered with different messages from so many different people. Brussels came together after this tragedy and became stronger. It was amazing, after the tour we of course got the famous fries of Belgium... I wasn't too impressed but maybe thats just because the potatoes weren't from Idaho.
Today I explored by myself, I know I know mom and dad are gonna freak about that but I was careful. I stayed on populated streets and had a map in front of me always but I loved being able to see these gorgeous sights by myself. After walking 6 miles I met with some friends for ice cream and oh my dad would be so jealous because it was huge and delicious. We all trekked to Grand Place again and sat in the middle of the grounds and looked at the building all beautifully lit.
Although this jousrney has been incredibly hard so far, I know on Monday when school starts it is going to just keep getting better.

Goodnight,
McKell

Comments